• Walking wounded: Everson Griffin, Josh Pinkard, Jordan Cameron, Tyron Smith, Vidal Hazelton, Ronald Johnson and Brice Butler all missed the morning practice today with various bumps and bruises.
“Just various little things,” Coach Carroll said of the player’s ailments. “A minor ankle turn for Jordan Cameron, Vidal (Hazelton) has a couple of things: a sprained finger, a big lump on his hand and an ankle that is a little sore. Ronald Johnson has a little bit of a groin thing that just has been kind of lingering.”
• Brian Baucham, Joe McKnight, Travon Patterson, Brandon Carswell, Damian Williams, Ronald Johnson and Stafon Johnson all got work returning punts this morning.
• First-team offensive line: (LT) Charles Brown, (LG) Alex Parsons, (C) Kris O’Dowd, (RG) Zack Heberer, (RT) Butch Lewis
• The defense caused some turnovers at the morning practice. Taylor Mays intercepted a deep pass from Mitch Mustain, Uona Kaveinga intercepted a Mitch Mustain pass after it went off the hands of Damian Williams and defensive end Gerald Washington recovered a fumbled snap.
• Marc Tyler was back in action after suffering a mild concussion and got a large portion of the reps at tailback.
• The Trojans worked on their two-minute drill offense for the first time today. Mitch Mustain led the Trojans on a scoring drive highlighted by a perfectly placed touchdown pass to wide receiver Scott Stephens up the seam.
• Shane Horton blocked a field goal attempt by David Buehler to end a separate two-minute drill drive.
• Freshman safety Drew McAllister is quietly having a solid fall camp. McAllister has looked good in coverage and has shown to be a sure tackler in the open field. On Monday morning, he deflected a pass in the end zone that was intended for Damian Williams.
• Mitch Mustain connected with Damian Williams on a Hail Mary pass on the last play of the short morning practice.
Taylor Mays intercepts the pass intended for Blake Ayles.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions you can reach Kevin Carden